One of the things we love to do on a camping trip is catch-up on our reading. That’s usually when I go “old school” and take one or two printed books along with me. Sometimes the books are fiction, sometimes they aren’t. When we aren’t on a trip, Alex and I love to read other people’s tips, and true stories on blogs and social media to learn more about the stuff we like to do outside. Like a lot of things we do and love, this sparked an idea for a couple of different #WeGetOutside Twitter chat topics.
As usual, there were lots of great recommendations for books and blogs for outdoorsy people like us. There were so many recommendations by folks on the chat, I need to share them with all of you here!
I know that this list has huge gaps. You can probably name a bunch of books or authors or blogs and social media accounts that are missing. So I encourage you to go ahead and add your own recommendations in the comments. If you are listing a book, please try to include the author’s first and last name so it is easy for other folks to look it up. If you are listing a blog or social media account, please include a link or the person’s handle.
*Note: This is a curated list of recommendations from other outdoor enthusiasts. I take no responsibility for the credibility or quality of the information contained in those resources.
Recommended Books By Title:
- The Many Deaths of Tom Thomson, by Gregory Klages
- The Lonely Land, by Sigurd Olson
- Canoe Country, by Roy MacGregor
- Path of the Paddle, by Bill Mason
- Joe Picket series by C.J. box
- Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer
- Bears Without Fear by Kevin Van Tighem
- Alone Against The North by Adam Shoalts
- No Summit Out of Sight by Jordan Romero Note: This is listed as a Young Adult book, but it is a good read for Old Adults, too.
- Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer
- The Climb by Anatoli Boukreev
- The Invention of Nature by Anrea Wulf
- Mother Nature is Trying To Kill You by Dan Riskin
- Almost Somewhere by Suzanne Roberts
- Two Little Savages by Ernest Thompson Seton
- One Man’s Wilderness by Sam Keith
- A River Runs Through It by Norman Maclean
- Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed
- Buddy Bison’s Yellowstone Adventure National Geographic
- Canada 123 by Kim Bellefontaine and Per-Henrik Gurth
- ABC of Canada by Kim Bellefontaine and Per-Henrik Gurth
- Canada in Colours by Per-Henrik Gurth
- Kevin Callan
- Hap Wilson
- Roy MacGregor
- Dana Stabenow (Kate Shugake series)
- C.J. Box (Joe Picket series)
- John Muir
- Ansel Adams
Blogs/Websites/Social Media Accounts
- #WeGetOutside Twitter chat!
- Friends of Algonquin Park
- Paddle In
- Alanarnette.com (@alan_arnette)
- Paul Kirtley @PKirt
- 100 Lakes in 100 Days (@Algonquin_Lakes)
- Camper Christina (@christinascheau)
- The Camping Family (@thecampingfamily.ca)
- Modern Hiker (Modernhiker.com)
- Explore The Backcountry